Drabinski, “The Everyday Miracle of the Occasional Community”
- What virtues does Drabinski find in the Dead community?
- How is the Deadhead scene a space of hope opposed to the excesses of modernity?
- What rituals does he find in the Deadhead community?
- What is an occasional community?
- What are the characteristics of (post)modern life?
- What does Marcuse mean when he says that Western culture is “one-dimensional”?
- What “new ethic” do we need to “revive a sense of community, to reconnect across competitive alienation” (32)? What does ethics (as ethos) mean here?
- Is the personal and familiar nature of the lot false intimacy?
- What is the “ethos of compassion” (35)?
- Do you think the ethos Drabinski identifies in the Dead scene applies to the Phish community as well? Why or why not?